January 24, 2014

Friday Foodie: Chef's Bistro, Highland's Coffee, Mockingjay, Starters, Sherlock and The Wolf of Wall Street

Today I'm gonna unload some of the photo dumps I have on my phone that I think are worth sharing. I've been taking pictures here and there throughout the weekends whenever I try something new. I am warning you that this post is really random but you might want to read on so you can know more about the things that I've been up to. Who knows, you may find something that you're interested with as well. 

First up is this restaurant that me and my husband discovered two weeks ago. After my IPL session at Tomas Morato, we were looking for a place to eat and we chanced upon this restaurant named Chef's Bistro. We didn't know what to expect since we haven't heard of it mostly because it's not McDonald's or other fast food restaurants we tend to eat often. Kidding aside, what pulled us inside is this tarp indicating a buy one take one deal of pizza for only Php 550. "Seriously? Who does that?" -- was our reaction. One thing about pizza is that if it's good, it's really good but if it's bad it's still good because DUH it's pizza.



Looks yummy right? We ordered the Mushroom and Truffle pizza and the take one is the Margherita. They are so yummy and super cheesy. My husband enjoyed every bit of it. It's really worth it for 500 pesos unlike those deals that don't make you feel like you paid less. We made a mental note to come back to try some other pizzas and to try their Bottomless Cocktails for only Php 250. So if you're looking for a place to chill and eat, give this resto a try. You can order a Buy 1 Take 1 pizza for just 500 pesos and a 250 peso unlimited cocktail drinks and just call it a night. 

Had I told you that I grew up in Batangas? Yeah I'm from Quezon since my high school days but I grew up there before we re-located. We Batangueños loves coffee. Let me rephrase that: We Batangueños worship coffee. Coffee for me is the next thing from water. I've been drinking it since I was small and I can determine a good one to the best one. During our holiday vacation, I was craving for some coffee and we discovered that there's a Highland's coffee inside SM Lucena already. I think it's one of the first few cafés in town since they don't allow Starbucks or any other branded cafés within Quezon province (I don't know why though). I haven't tried Highland's Coffee here in Manila so I gave in and tried it. Caramel Macchiato has always been my default order whenever it's my first time in a coffee shop. I can determine the quality of the brewed coffee and their latte with it through this order. The verdict? The quality is decent though I'm looking for more of the coffee side than the cream. The downside though is their spill-proof cups. Look at the picture above where the coffee is leaking while you drink it. So I just finish the whole coffee by removing the lid so the rest won't be wasted.


What is up with Starbucks? Their coffee have the same quality but it's not that hot anymore. Literally. I want my coffee to burn my tongue, but nowadays even though you order for an extra-hot I can gulp it immediately. This is my last Toffee Nut Latte by the way. I love it hot but I loath it when it's a frappe.


Who doesn't like the Hunger Games trilogy? Certainly not me. I love every single book of this trilogy and I will never get tired of reading it over and over again. During the Christmas season I was reading the last book which is Mockingjay. I won't spoil you with any details but I guess a lot of readers are disappointed with the ending. For me, it's a realistic one though. Katniss do not deserve everything that she's been through but who can predict what's gonna happen next with anyone's life right? It is not a fairy tale ending but I think it's believable. I may be in a little shock after reading the last page but after recovering, I thought I won't have it any other way. :)

This book made me sleepless on the nights that I was reading it. If you're looking for another dystopian book to read after the Hunger Games Trilogy, I say this is the perfect one. Though with some minor lapses here and there, the plot is really thrilling and clever. I just finished reading the second book which is the Enders. I didn't like the second one as much as I loved this. I wish I can read it for the first time again.

I you read my Liebster award answers last year, you'll know that I looooove TV series. My first love was True Blood, Nikita and some Japanese anime named Hell Girl back in college. From there my taste changed a bit so I went for Vampire Diaries, How I Met Your Mother, Suits, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. I see to it that I have the combination of some series that makes me think a lot and the one that makes me laugh hard. Is it weird to simultaneously watch Homeland and New Girl? Anyway, my husband's a big fan of Lord of the Rings and the stars of the Hobbit Martin Freeman (Bilbo Baggins) and Benedict Cumberbatch (Smaug) are the main cast of this British series Sherlock. I was planning to watch it last year but I was preoccupied with a lot of new seasons. On the first week of January I decided to download it and was amazed to find out that they only have six episodes for the past three years. They only release a season or "series" every two years. Though Sherlock's character is too-knowing, I can see why they maintained such high ratings throughout the years. I just finished watching the third season and it's too good!

If I should describe this movie in one word I would say it's WILD. Leonardo Dicaprio overdid himself in this movie. Critics always say that they can still see Dicaprio while portraying a certain character. But in this movie, you can only see the character which is really awesome. This movie is a mixture of Great Gatsby, Jackass and some Project X. I can also see some hint of Johnny Depp's 'Blow'. I didn't mind the 3-hour run time because is so much fun to watch I enjoyed it so much. :)

2 comments:

  1. The pizza looks really delicious! And I agree, pizza always taste yummy no matter what, hehe, :) Leonardo looks so freakin sexy in the The Wolf of Wall Street! <3

    Take care always, love Christine ~ xo
    Chriissydollxo Blog | BlogLovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! saw his butt too.. Haha. Thanks Christine! :)

      Delete