July 14, 2014

Book Recommendations: Young Adult Dystopian Books

Whenever I stop blogging for a week or more, it's usually because I am sick or I'm reading a book that I can't put down. So I stop blogging and pursue my favorite hobby (other than sleeping) which is reading. What the hell's a Dystopian book you say? According to Wikipedia: Dystopia is a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. Such societies appear in many artistic works, particularly in stories set in a future. In my own words, I can describe Dystopian setting as a science fiction plot with a community that experienced a catastrophe (sickness, apocalypse etc.) resulting to a controlling government. I prefer these novels in limited-present or in the point of view of the main character. This way I can actually imagine what the character is going through. Yeah, I really like these shit. I spend a lot of nights sleepless because I'm addicted to Young Adult Dystopian books. If you're like me who can't get enough of those, read on to know my Top 5!

#5. Divergent by Veronica Roth
You're all familiar with this film franchise which was just released this year. It's even more interesting to read the actual book since it offers more details and you get to know where the characters are coming from. I loved the first book (Divergent) but I ended up loathing the next book and even hating the third book more. I find Tris (main character) as a very smart and brave individual and Four too! But they became dumber and dumber as the story progresses, specially Four. And the plot is really flawed specially when they went out to the "real world". I won't spoil you, but you have to read the book or wait for the next movies to know what I'm talking about. Nevertheless, this book made it to my top 5 because the first book was really close to my heart. Veronica Roth's idea of factions was genius.

#4. Starters and Enders by Lissa Price
This book is the less popular among the others in this list. There are plot twists that you may or may not see coming. It's interesting, you just have to give it a chance and you'll see that it's worth it.

#3. Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver
This book is my first love. It's the book that made me hunt other Dystopian books because I love Lauren Oliver so much. The story is about a time when the government decided that "love" is a sickness that has to be killed inside our brain. Of course there's a rebellion and uprising like any other Dystopia but what made this saga more special is Lauren Oliver's way of writing. She made me feel mixed emotions in the way she describes everything in her writing. Just plain awesome!

#2. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
This book is what's keeping me up all night these past few days. I read the first book in less than 24 hours! Shatter Me series have the most number of twists that I did not foresee. I thought I had them all figured out but I was wrong. Of all the five books listed here, this is the only book with characters that has supernatural powers. This saga is actually being compared to X-Men, so if you like those kind of shit this is for you. Tahereh Mafi is a great writer who knows how to shock her readers without us being aware. The only thing that I hate is her too metaphorical way of writing. She's like a very good song writer who can't sing her own songs. But I noticed that she became straight to the point on the last book, maybe she read a lot of comments about her writing style. (Lol.) Nevertheless, the story is really thrilling!


#1. Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Nothing can beat Hunger Games you know, it's just perfection. First, the idea of Quater Quell itself was genius (despite the Battle Royal comparison). The main characters were all developed gracefully and the ending is the most believable ending I've read in my entire reading life. The characters can be vulnerable in a lot of ways and that's what I love in this series. Suzanne Collins is an awesome writer too, she takes advantage of her characters and is not a afraid to be George RR Martin-ish. (If you know what I mean)

That's my top 5 list of Young Adult Dystopian books. Any recommendation? :)

2 comments:

  1. This subject seem to be a trend with books lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The right term na daw for Dystopia is "Futuristic Thriller" said the author of Starters and Enders. I'm still attached with Dystopia though. Haha.

      Delete