February 10, 2015

Lippie Monster Reads: Every Day by David Levithan

Maybe I took the 2015 Reading Challenge too seriously that I already finished three books in four weeks, or I am just making good book choices recently. Whatever the deal is, I am so proud of myself for literally reading a lot last month.

Random is the most appropriate word to describe me as a reader. First is because I have random book choices. I can hop from legal thrillers to young adults (my favorite). Well obviously, young adults are the "easy reads", that's how I call them. Second, is because I have a weird reading pattern. There are months that I just don't feel like reading or I just feel like I don't grab the right books at the right time. But then there are months that I devour books one after the other. January 2015 is that kind of month, and this is the book that started my reading challenge this year.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.


It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.

“I want love to conquer all. But love can't conquer anything. It can't do anything on it's own. It relies on us to do the conquering on its behalf.” 
- David Levithan, Every Day

'Every Day' was the book that I was reading in between 2014 and 2015. That's how memorable this book is for me. It is the first book that I read in less than 12 hours. The concept may be odd or illogical for some, but I oddly enjoyed every page of this work of fiction. I am one of those readers who always look for loopholes in the plot. But I admittedly did not notice anything until I read the reviews. I was to engross in each and every chapter of this book that I completely disregarded anything unusual in the plot. Also, I admire how David Levithan put into words some philosophies that may be applicable in real life. I may have sensed some dark humor here and there, involving the topic of sexuality and idealism. 

I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment